If your domain name and web hosting are purchased from Vodien, your domain name is automatically connected to your website. However, if another provider hosts either of them, you need to connect your domain to your website manually. The same thing goes if you just changed providers. Follow the steps below to connect your domain to your own website.
|Note: The steps herein are for Linux hosting. If you have Vodien WordPress hosting, follow the steps to Connect the Domain or Subdomain to WordPress Hosting.|
The hosting IP address is the IP address of the server where your website files are stored. Learn how to obtain this information below.
- Login to cPanel.
- Take note of the Shared IP Address under GENERAL INFORMATION or within the Server Information. This is the IP address of your web hosting.
An A record is a DNS record that resolves to an IP address. Follow the steps below to check the current A record of your domain name.
- Access the Global DNS Propagation Checker.
- Enter the domain name in question in the first box on the left and make sure that A is selected in the second box.
- Click Search.
4. See if the results match the hosting IP address obtained from Step 1. If it does, your domain name is already connected to your website. Otherwise, proceed to Step 3.
The name servers of your domain name indicate where your DNS is hosted. This is where you edit your DNS records including the A record for your website. Learn how to look up your name servers with the steps below.
- Access the Name Server Checker.
- Enter the domain name in question in the first box on the left and make sure that NS is selected in the second box.
- Click Search.
Update the A record to match the hosting IP address obtained from Step 1. Follow the instructions below to update the A record based on your DNS host.
- Vodien – Follow the steps herein to Manage DNS within Vodien.
- Other providers – Contact your DNS provider and request them to update the A record.
|Tip: You can change the nameservers to Vodien to easily manage your DNS records. Make sure that there are no emails that will be affected.|
Once the A record is updated, go back to Step 2 to check if your domain is already connected to your website.