OpenCart is an e-commerce-based website application that you can use if you have an online business. An easy way to install it is through the cPanel (Control Panel) via Softaculous Apps Installer. Softaculous is a cPanel feature where open-source web applications like WordPress, Joomla, Magento, among others, can be installed so that websites can be managed virtually. The website needs to be installed first so that it can be managed via cPanel.
|Important: The domain or subdomain where the OpenCart will be installed should already be in the cPanel. Follow these links on how to add an addon domain and subdomain in the cPanel.|
Follow the steps below on how to install OpenCart with Softaculous.
Step 1. Log in to cPanel.
Step 2. Click the Softaculous Apps Installer icon found under Software menu.
Step 3. Scroll down and hover your cursor to OpenCart.
Step 4. Click Install.
Step 5. Customise the settings for your OpenCart Store. Take note of the important fields below that need to be configured. You may consult your web developer on what to put for the rest of the boxes. If you are unsure of the specifications, you can leave it as it is. Other fields can be configured after installation via the OpenCart admin page.
- Choose the version you want to install – Choose the OpenCart version that you want to install from the drop-down. It is best to consult your web developer.
- Choose Installation URL – Click the drop-down menu to choose the domain where OpenCart will be installed. Click each tooltip on the corresponding boxes where you are editing to get more details about each field.
|Note: Make sure to leave the In Directory field blank to avoid having this URL: http://selectdomain.here/opcart. Correct URL should be http://selectdomain.here.|
- Store Settings – Enter the name, description, owner, and address of the store on the corresponding box provided. These details can be changed under System Settings on OpenCart admin page after installation.
- Admin Username – Replace or take note of the username in the box to login to the admin page of OpenCart.
- Admin Password – Replace or take note of the password in the box to login to the admin page of OpenCart.
- Admin Email – Make sure the email address in the box is functional as this is where OpenCart notifications are being sent to. Otherwise, replace it with any existing email address that you prefer.
Step 6. Click the [+] plus sign beside Advanced Options to see if there are configurations needed to be changed in the section. Click each tooltip on the corresponding boxes that you are editing to get more details about each field.
Step 7. Click the Install button after making sure all necessary details are correct and configured.
|Note: Each version of OpenCart has its own PHP requirement, an error will interrupt the installation if the hosting account does not meet the PHP requirement. Follow this link on how to change the PHP version of your hosting.|
Step 8. Wait until the installation is complete. The progress will show on the page as presented in the screenshot below.
A message shown on the screenshot below will appear once the installation is completed. You can now start editing the website by accessing the OpenCart admin page with the URL provided on the same page or by following the instructions on how to access admin pages.