phpBB is a content management system application that is mostly used for bulletin boards. An easy way to install phpBB is through the cPanel (Control Panel) via Softaculous Apps Installer. Softaculous is a cPanel feature where open-source web applications like WordPress, Joomla, Magento, among others, can be installed so that websites can be managed virtually. The website needs to be installed first so that it can be managed via cPanel.
|Important: The domain or subdomain where the phpBB will be installed should already be in the cPanel. Follow these links on how to add an addon domain and subdomain in the cPanel.|
Follow the steps below on how to install phpBB with Softaculous.
Step 1. Log in to cPanel.
Step 2. Click the Softaculous Apps Installer icon found under Software menu.
Step 3. Hover your cursor to phpBB.
Step 4. Click Install.
Step 5. Customise the settings for your phpBB. Take note of the important fields below that need to be configured.
- Choose Installation URL – Click the drop-down menu to choose the domain where phpBB will be installed. Click each tooltip on the corresponding boxes where you are editing to get more details about each field.
|Note: Make sure to leave the In Directory field blank to avoid having this URL: http://yourdomain.website/phpbb. Correct URL should be http://yourdomain.website.|
- Board Name – Enter the name of the forum in the box provided.
- Site Description – Enter a short text to describe your forum.
- Board Email – Enter the forum’s email address.
- Admin Username – Replace or take note of the username in the box to login to the admin page of phpBB.
- Admin Password – Replace or take note of the password in the box to login to the admin page of phpBB.
- Admin Email – Make sure the email address in the box is functional as this is where phpBB notifications are being sent to. Otherwise, replace it with any existing email address that you prefer.
- Select Language – Select your preferred language from the drop-down list.
Step 6. Click the [+] plus sign beside Advanced Options to see if there are configurations needed to be changed in the section. Click each tooltip on the corresponding boxes that you are editing to get more details about each field.
Step 7. Click the Install button after making sure all necessary details are correct and configured.
Step 8. Wait until the installation is complete. The progress will show on the page as presented in the screenshot below.
A message shown on the screenshot below will appear once the installation is completed. You can now start editing the website by accessing the phpBB admin page with the instructions provided on the same page or by following the instructions on how to access admin pages.